As most of you know, I am in the midst of all the college research. I am pretty sure I have it narrowed down to a few that I want to apply to, but you never know! The other thing is college is pretty expensive, so I am applying to as many scholarships as I can! Today I wanted to share what I have learned so far and share a few websites to help you get started!
Here a few tips to keep in mind:
- Some require more work than others, so factor that in when deciding which ones to enter! The easy ones will have more people applying, but if you have a great application that shouldn't matter too much!
- There are scholarships for all different things so don't think you won't get one just because you don't have a 4.0.
- Always have a parent or someone check over your essay before you apply if you have to write one for your scholarship. If you have a lot of errors they probably won't even consider it.
- Keep a list of which ones you apply to. I put the name, date I applied, date it ends, and the amount of money on my list!
- Stand out- when you are applying make sure you highlight your accomplishments and your best features. I just entered one with the topic of "Pursuing Your Passion" and I wrote about what I wanted to study and why and how the money would help. I also added in a few things such as I have done lots of service work and recently went to Spain on a missions trip.
- If you are in high school still, ask a counselor if there are any local scholarships you can enter. Some places have them, others don't, but it doesn't hurt to ask!
- If you know what college you are applying to, ask them about extra financial aid! My brother got another $2,000 off each year at his college just because my parents went over and asked.
(Fun fact: I have this exact quote hanging on my wall to inspire me every day!)
I have a few sites that I use to help me find scholarships. Here are my favorites! I find that using a few different ones ensures that I find as many scholarships that fit me as possible! I like Zinch mainly because of it's weekly scholarship. I like Cappex the best to keep track of ones to enter in the future. I like Fastweb because I just found two on there to enter today because I clicked into an email that they sent me today! (They sent the email because I have an account on there for when I do enter!)
- Google- just Google scholarships and see what comes up!
I have entered about 20 scholarships in the past 9 months or so, and so far I have not won one. But I refuse to give up because I won't win if I don't enter!
If you have any tips, please leave them in the comments! Also, if this helped you please let me know! If there are any other college related posts you want to see, feel free to let me know! Or if you have any questions about me personally leave a comment or tweet me!